Thursday, February 16, 2017

Not Much to Report

 

We’re still here at McDowell Mountain Park for another few weeks. This is the view from our current site.

P1050928

A little late for Valentine’s Day.

P1050919

A few of his friends.

P1050890

P1050921

That’s a hummingbird patiently waiting for the Gila woodpecker to get off its feeder.

P1050905

It’s official, I am now a geezer and have the pass to prove it. Still $10 for the lifetime pass. I asked the gentleman at the Tonto National Forest office when the price increase was to take place, but he said they haven’t yet gotten the word. He also kindly told me I looked like I should be going clubbing instead of buying a senior pass. I suspect I am not the first woman he’s used that line on!

20170124_185124 (2)

Same old, same old here, mostly biking, a little hiking, and volunteering at Fearless Kitty.

20170128_112707

Some shots from the trails.

DSC06951

P1050907

We saw a bobcat run across this rocky hill but he was too fast to get a photo.

P1050886

This saguaro was happy to see me.

DSC06950

Learned that the holes are not just used by birds.

P1050887

This one has a very active bee nest inside.

P1050888

We have a huge ocotillo next to our current site. No flowers yet but hope to see some soon based on how green everything is becoming.

P1050925

P1050926

We’ve been chipping away at little projects around the Lazy Daze. Jim inspected and added some caulk to the roof, replaced the burner tube on the hot water heater, and installed a new propane detector. There is always something to be done.

Last Friday turned out not to be a good night for viewing the full moon, eclipse, and comet, but it was still pretty. Until next time…

P1050893

Addendum: Can’t believe I forgot to mention this but Sophie finally got adopted on Valentine’s Day. Only took six months for the right people to come along, a family with two older boys. At least maybe they will keep her in line!

20 comments:

  1. Hmmm, seems you have an array of very strange hummingbirds. that Saguaro giving you the finger?

    Glad you are both well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome to the Gezzer club. We just crossed the line too and got our pass last month. Now to wear it out! :c)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have found it desirable to put clear tape over my geezer pass number. It was wearing off the card. Still here at Amistad for $2 a night.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your bird pictures are great!!
    It might not be the first time that gentleman used that line but I bet it sure felt good hearing it!! I know I would have enjoyed it!! That pass is awesome!! Enjoy!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Haven't seen you in a long time. Good to hear from you. Very nice campsite. We have also been doing too many "chores". There does seem always to be something. Even though you didn't get a photo of the bobcat, they are very exciting to see. So exciting that I broke my ankle right after seeing one on the Appalachian Trail.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice pictures of a variety of hummingbirds! You're in a good spot to catch a few ball games.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Paul and I just talked about you two yesterday and were wondering how you were.
    I think that guy is right. You do not look like you should have that pass!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yay Sophie! Congratulations, you old geezer you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a gorgeous view you have—and hiking and biking and birding right in your backyard. I can see why you want to stay for the winter.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Man, you're practically spending the entire winter at McDowell! No wonder it's so hard for folks to get sites there....Just kidding...! At this rate rate you might still be there when we arrive on 3/7.

    Happy birthday and congrats on the lifetime parks pass!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, we will be here until the 10th. See you next month!

      Delete
  11. I am always amazed at people who can boondock as long as they do. I consider "no sewer" boondocking...haha! And 30 amps is true primitive camping. I guess I am slightly spoiled:) It is interesting that you are able to stay so long booking all those ten day stays. Some state and regional parks only let you do one 14 day stay a month. You were lucky to book so many months. Enjoy your hiking and biking:) Love being in the saguaro:)

    ReplyDelete
  12. So nice to have a long stay in such a pretty spot. Oh my - the happy saquaro :-))) Wonderful news about Sophie - it's all the good karma you're collecting at Fearless Kitty! Great catch of the busy bee.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a mistake I didn't come up to McDowell when hanging out by Mesa. Such a pretty area. You may have to show your ID with that Geezer Pass just to prove you're old enough. Glad to hear Sophie got a home.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Saguaros...enough to make a princess blush!! On the other hand, I'm sure your gracious acknowledgement made his day.

    ENVY drips like sorghum on a hot summer day at that moon shot. The stars at Jawbone Canyon, CA and then Trona Pinnacles have been awesome. And after the two days of rain it's amazing to see streams in the desert!! This is the life, isn't it?!! A bobcat!!!! What a treat!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am excited to be elegible for the geezer pass as well. Need to go get one soon. I just got home from a week in Phoenix. Had I driven I would have tried to drop in and say hi. I hurt my knee two weeks ago and am still limping so driving was out of the question. What the heck did I do for 8 days in Phoenix........quilt retreat, my passion when I am not in the great outdoors.

    ReplyDelete
  16. You have picked the perfect place to winter. The views are wonderful and it looks like the birds are plentiful. So glad to hear that Sophie found herself a home. I will be getting my geezer card next year. Looking forward to seeing you both.

    ReplyDelete